Today Chelsey and Sara discuss The Blue Castle by L.M. Montgomery. This classic Cinderella story follows Valancy Stirling as she receives life-changing news that shakes up her whole world and leads her to happiness. Her coming-of-age story includes a few highly discussable plot points that we couldn’t help but spoil, so if you haven’t read the book, scroll down to get a timestamp to avoid spoilers. As always, we’re recommending contemporary pairings for our classic, including a whip-smart rom-com and a dreamy fantasy novel.
Listen to this episode in your web browser or download and subscribe in your favorite podcast app.
For more bonus episodes, nerdy classes, and extra book talk, join our Classics Club: patreon.com/novelpairings.com.
Connect with us on Instagram or Twitter. Subscribe to our weekly newsletter to get updates and behind-the-scenes info.
Get two audiobooks for the price of one from Libro.fm. Use our Libro.fm affiliate code NOVELPAIRINGS and support independent bookstores.
Spoilers start here: [29:15]
And our Pairings start here: [35:52]
Books mentioned (affiliate links):
- Spoiler Alert by Olivia Dade (Amazon)
- Mrs. Martin’s Incomparable Adventure by Courtney Milan
- Rough Beauty: Forty Seasons of Mountain Living by Karen Auvinen (Amazon)
- The Bookish Life of Nina Hill by Abbi Waxman (Amazon)
- The Bird King by G. Willow Wilson (Amazon)
- Tell the Wolves I’m Home by Carol Rifka Brunt (Amazon)
Picks of the week:
Want to buy an island in Canada?
The History Chicks: Lucy Maud Montgomery episode