Today Chelsey and Sara are discussing In the Time of the Butterflies by Julia Alvarez. We kept this conversation spoiler-free, so choose your own adventure: listen before, during, or after reading this historical fiction classic. As always, we’re recommending six contemporary books to pair with our main classic, including an under-the-radar memoir in translation and an upcoming family story about sisters and secrets.
Listen to the episode here or download it in your favorite podcast app (don’t forget to subscribe!).
For access to our next nerdy class and bonus episodes every Friday, join our Classics Club: patreon.com/novelpairings.com.
Use our Libro.fm affiliate code NOVELPAIRINGS to get an audiobook subscription and support independent bookstores.
Skip to the pairings with this timestamp: [37:00]
These links are affiliate links. If you make a purchase through these links, Novel Pairings will earn a small commission at no additional cost to you. Thank you for your support!
- Clap When You Land by Elizabeth Acevedo (Amazon)
- Days in the Caucasus by Banine (Amazon)
- Fountains of Silence by Ruta Sepytys (Amazon)
- Dominicana by Angie Cruz (Amazon)
- The Feast of the Goat by Mario Vargos Llosa (Amazon)
- One Two Three by Laurie Frankel, out June 8 (Amazon)
Pick of the week: Mark your calendars for Elizabeth Acevedo’s next novel.