Chelsey and Sara discuss Mildred D. Taylor’s Newberry Award winning novel, Roll of Thunder, Hear My Cry. We gush about the writing, share our favorite characters, and unpack a few memorable scenes. We also spend some time considering why this book feels like it could be classified as an adult novel and the value it would add to a middle or high school curriculum. And, of course, we each offer a couple of books to pair with this middle grade classic. This conversation is largely spoiler-free, and we encourage you to listen whether or not you’ve read this book recently or at all!
Together, we’re learning to be better, more critical and thorough readers of classic and contemporary literature. We love discussing books and reading with all of you and hope you’ll join our group of nerdy readers at patreon.com/novelpairings. Annual subscriptions are now available at a discounted price.
Pairings Timestamp: 42:05
- Roll of Thunder, Hear My Cry by Mildred D. Taylor
- To Kill A Mockingbird by Harper Lee
- The Nickel Boys by Colson Whitehead
- Claudette Colvin: Twice Towards Justice by Phillip Hoose
- Not Without Laughter by Langston Hughes
- Stealing by Margaret Verble
- Another Brooklyn by Jacqueline Woodson
- Brown Girl Dreaming by Jacqueline Woodson