Today Chelsey and Sara discuss the second half of The House of the Spirits by Isabel Allende, Chapters 7 through 14. In this episode, we cover new characters, prominent themes, and final thoughts on spending so much time with the Trueba family, plus our contemporary pairings! We’ve paired Allende’s masterpiece with novels of magical realism from all over the world, and we can’t wait to hear your recommendations for further reading.
Click here to listen to this episode in your web browser.
For more bonus episodes, nerdy classes, and extra book talk, join our Classics Club: patreon.com/novelpairings.com.
Connect with us on Instagram or Twitter. Subscribe to our weekly newsletter to get updates and behind-the-scenes info.
Get two audiobooks for the price of one from Libro.fm. Use our Libro.fm affiliate code NOVELPAIRINGS and support independent bookstores.
Skip to this timestamp for our pairings: [41:55]
Thank you for shopping our affiliate links!
The House of the Spirits by Isabel Allende (Amazon)
In the Time of the Butterflies by Julia Alvarez (Amazon)
The Poetry of Pablo Neruda (Amazon)
- Latitudes of Longing by Shubhangi Swarup (Amazon)
- Eartheater by Dolores Reyes, translated by Julia Sanchez (Amazon)
- The Girl Who Could Silence the Wind by Meg Medina (Amazon)
- The Murmur of Bees by Sofia Segovia (Amazon)
- Infinite Country by Patricia Engel (Amazon)
- Sharks in the Time of Saviors by Kawai Strong Washburn (Amazon)
Pick of the week:
Chelsey: “Everyone called me crazy for getting divorced in my 70s”