Today Chelsey and Sara are discussing Giovanni’s Room by James Baldwin. We both loved this evocative, ground-breaking classic and couldn’t wait to dig into its setting, themes, and stunning writing. As usual, we’re recommending six contemporary books to pair with Baldwin’s classic, including poignant YA novels, memoir, and essays.
Listen to the episode in your web browser with this link.
For access to our upcoming class on literary theory and a book club style discussion of Baldwin’s novel later this month, join our Classics Club: patreon.com/novelpairings.com.
Use our Libro.fm affiliate code NOVELPAIRINGS to get an audiobook subscription and support independent bookstores.
Skip to the pairings with this timestamp: [31:00]
These links are affiliate links. If you make a purchase through these links, Novel Pairings will earn a small commission at no additional cost to you. Thank you for your support!
- Like a Love Story by Abdi Nazemian (Amazon) TW: homophobia, family trauma,
- How We Fight for Our Lives by Saeed Jones (Amazon) TW: violence, trauma
- James Baldwin: The Last Interview and Other Conversations (Amazon)
- Real Life by Brandon Taylor (Amazon) TW: eating disorder, trauma
- Swimming in the Dark by Tomasz Jedrowski (Amazon) TW: trauma
- Here for It, or How to Save Your Soul in America by R. Eric Thomas (Amazon)
Picks of the week:
Chelsey: Paris Blues (1961)
Sara: I Am Not Your Negro