Today, Chelsey and Sara discuss a melodramatic classroom staple: A Streetcar Named Desire by Tennessee Williams. We relive our classroom experiences, investigate why this play is still taught, and dig into the iconic characters made famous by Marlon Brando and Vivien Leigh in the 1951 film adaptation. Plus, as always, we offer six contemporary pairings that capture similar themes.
For more bonus episodes, nerdy classes, and extra book talk, join our Classics Club: patreon.com/novelpairings.com.
Connect with us on Instagram or Twitter. Subscribe to our weekly newsletter to get updates and behind-the-scenes info.
Get two audiobooks for the price of one from Libro.fm. Use our Libro.fm affiliate code NOVELPAIRINGS and support independent bookstores.
Skip to the pairings: [43:50]
Thank you for supporting the show by shopping our affiliate links!
- Luster by Raven Leilani (Amazon)
- Bastard Out of Carolina by Dorothy Allison (Amazon)
- The Great Alone by Kristin Hannah (Amazon)
- Conversations with Friends by Sally Rooney (Amazon)
- Real Life by Brandon Taylor (Amazon)
- Detransition, Baby by Torrey Peters (Amazon)
Picks of the Week:
You Must Remember This: On the Waterfront and Eliza Kazan